There are many reasons infants struggle to latch and feed well. Critically thinking through a case involves assessing all the variables that may be impacting feedings. This is no easy task when we must consider what is happening on the parent’s side and the infant’s side. How can we put all the pieces of a complex case together in order to be an effective lactation detective? This session is designed to help providers implement critical thinking skills in order to think outside the box when it comes to difficult cases.
- Identify key aspects of the critical thinking process within the context of lactation
- Describe 3 infant-related factors to assess when feeding difficulties present
- Describe 3 parental related factors to assess when feeding difficulties present
- Identify the root cause(s) of the feeding issue at hand
- Identify personalized care plans strategies for a dyad
- Utilize critical thinking skills when supporting dyads through challenging feeding situations