The session looks at the Ten Steps to BabyFriendly and the science that supports this elevated level of care for the maternal infant dyad. Brain
and microbiome development in the first days and weeks in both mother and baby that is influenced by breastfeeding behavior, nutrition
and skin to skin will be discussed. Attachment as it pertains to the Ten Steps and the improved biological outcomes for mother and baby will also be addressed. Finally,
how the Ten Steps influence family life post hospital stay will be examined.
Identify the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding
Identify three reasons why exclusivity is critical to long-term health.
Identify at least one risk to baby of ingesting infant formula during critical periods of development.
List two reasons skin to skin can impact brain development in mother and baby.
- Brief History and Current Status of BFHI in US
- What Ten Steps Are
- Risk Reduction
- Infant Risk Reduction – Dose Dependent
- Maternal Risk Reduction – New Data
- Importance of Exclusivity
- Joint Commission
- Infant Critical Period of Gut Development
- Science Behind Step Four – Breastfeeding In First Hour
- 9 Stages of Development
- Brain Development
- Sense of Smell
- Attachment and Health
- Supplementation Risks to Brain Development and Microbiome
- Rooming In- More than a nice thing to do
- Skin to Skin updated data
- Pacifiers and Hormonal Release, Brain Development and Satiation